Generally, men and women have pretty much the same hormones. Hormones are special chemical messengers in our body which help control symptoms like fatigue, bloating, low sex drive and thinning hair. Two most common hormones are the sex hormones- estrogen and testosterone. Both men and women make estrogen and testosterone in different ratios, depending on gender.
What is fascinating is how estrogen, associated mainly with women, and testosterone, associated mainly with men, play an important role in men and women, respectively. On one hand, testosterone plays an important role in women’s health as it is responsible for muscle and bone strength, and maintaining a healthy sex drive. On the other hand, estrogen plays an important role in preventing heart diseases in men.
As we age, however, the levels of estrogen and testosterone starts to vary which increases the risk of many diseases. For instance, women experience age-related hormonal changes in the form of digestive issues, changes in appetite, fatigue, insomnia and irritating menopause symptoms.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT), often called “natural hormone therapy,” is a natural and safe approach to traditional hormone therapy. Bioidentical hormones are identical to the hormones women make in their bodies at the molecular level. The identical molecular structure is the key to the success of BHRT because bioidentical hormones act in the body just like the natural hormones produced in our bodies.
Without further ado, let us look into the advantages of BHRT and how it plays a crucial role in enhancing the quality of life:
● Menopause: Common consequences of aging-related hormonal changes is menopause. As women reach the age of 50 their levels of estrogen start to decrease. Menopause is normal and happens to all women, however, its symptoms can be dangerous. Symptoms may include hot flashes, vaginal dryness, vaginal atrophy leading to painful intercourse, irritability, loss of muscle mass, and more.
● Protect Bones: Numerous studies have found that BHRT might help defend against problems of osteoporosis (condition in which the bones become brittle and fragile from loss of tissue) or hip fractures.
● Boost Energy Levels: With BHRT, both men, and women, are more likely to experience better sleep, increase in energy levels, mental clarity, motivation, and alertness. Energy levels deplete with declining levels of hormones like testosterone.
● Quality of life: BHRT works at a molecular level and may also reduce risks of diabetes, tooth loss or cataracts. With minimal, yet significant, evidence stating that BHRT may also help improve skin thickness, hydration, and elasticity and even reduce wrinkles.
● FDA Approved & Tested for Safety: The bioidentical hormones which are approved by the FDA have been tested for safety with strict standards. Bioidentical hormones aim to increase or balance specific hormones which are tied to reproduction or youth.
In a nutshell, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy helps with the transition through health-related changes and challenges of aging. It may be an option to help people who have symptoms associated with hormone levels that are either low or unbalanced. About 1.4 million women, about 40 percent of all prescriptions for hormone therapy in women who are menopausal or postmenopausal, now use BHRT treatments, reports the North American Menopause Society.
At Cosmetic Laser Surgery MedSpa Massachusetts, we are committed to helping you in any way we can. Dr. Doppelt has extensive experience with woman’s health issues spanning over 25 years. Our BHRT treatment help resolves symptoms related to aging or menopause which help achieve a natural balance that is age appropriate for your body. Connect with us so that we can work the right course of treatment for you.