How The treatment Works
Were you exposed to alot of sun when you were younger? For many of us, we weren’t worried about future sun damage…we just wanted that bronze glow from the sun on our skin. Unfortunately, over many decades, that sun exposure catches up to you and freckles, age spots and brown spots start to become visible. Or, for some people, hormonal changes from pregnancy or medications can cause brown patches that are often referred to as Melasma.
At Cosmetic Laser Solutions MedSpa we offer several different solutions for restoring a clear complexion. IPL (Intensed Pulse Light), Chemical Peels, a laser peel or treating individual spots are all possible options. We also offer a take home mask specifically designed for Melasma/Sun damaged skin.
What treatments are available for sun damaged skin?
Oftentime sunspots or age spots are most visible on the face, chest, hands, arms and shoulders.
Cosmetic Laser Solutions will determine which device and treatment plan is the best for your particular sun damaged skin condition. Options to remove sun damage include:
- Laser individual spots – Laser can target individual spots. Scabbing forms over 3-4 days and takes approximately a week to flake off.
- Chemical Peels – Our newest TCA peel has no downtime or burning sensation yet it is great for evening complexion in addition to reducing wrinkles and fine lines. Ideally, 4 weekly sessions is recommended.
- Laser Micro Peel – This is a light fractional CO2 peel that has 3-4 days of downtime. 1-2 treatments are usually all that is needed.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments – IPL is an excellent treatment for someone with more diffused sun damage. Diffused sun damage looks like multiple shades of pigmentation. Most people with this type of sun damage will need a series of IPL’s to really see correction in their skin tone. Through the years, we’ve found our patients need a series of 3-4 IPL treatments to be satisfied with their results. Our IPL device utilizes an ultra-short pulse equipped with the highest Pulse Density in the market. This provides faster visible results coupled with reduced discomfort, making it the ultimate choice for an IPL device.
- Lightening creams – Non Hydroquinone lightening agent. Use this for 3 months for cell turnover and lightening of the treated area.
For Melasma, this unique Electrode Infusion Mask is a take home mask designed to repair discolored skin from Melasma over a 30 day period.
We often combine laser technology with lightening creams to prevent new hyperpigmention from forming. Additionally, a lightening cream gradually reduces existing dark spots. Currently, our favorite lightening cream is Cysteamine. Unlike hydroquinone, there are no known issues with continued use over a long period of time. It can also be used over the summer months with no issues. Please reach out to us if your interested in purchasing Cysteamine.
These days, there’s no reason to have brown sun spots that age your look. Restoring your skin to an even skin tone will give you a much more youthful appearance.
How the Treatment Works
Laser treatments provide the best results for removing brown spots, freckles, sun damage, age spots, discoloration, and other hyper-pigmentation issues.
Each individual spot is treated with a laser or light beam that breaks up the pigmentation. A light crusting/scabbing will form over the next 2-3 days. This typically sloughs off over the next 4-7 days leaving you with fresh new skin. Light spots are typically removed in a single treatment. Darker spots will lighten up but may require another treatment to eliminate. Each brown spot is unique and therefore each treatment responds differently.
Schedule a Consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
There are no restrictions for the microcurrent mask. The microcurrent patch is hypoallergenic and suitable for all skin types. Individuals with especially sensitive skin may experience a slight redness where the neck patch is placed on skin. This is safe and normal and typically goes away within a couple of minutes of removing the mask.
An initial in office 1 hour treatment initiates the treatment plan. You will continue 6-8 at home sessions twice a week with the reusable mask for the next month to maximize results and achieve your desired aesthetic goal.
Generally it can take 1-3 sessions to remove dark spots. As most people have a combination of light and darker spots, the darker spots may have to be lasered more than once to remove.
Most people describe it as a thin rubber band snapping on your skin. The good news is that is is not a long process. No anesthesia is needed. After treatment, the area will feel like a mild sunburn.
The area treated will form a dark mild crusting over the next few days. Continued application of our intensive recovery cream is recommend for faster healing.
The age spot will be removed with laser but re-exposure to the sun in the area can reactivate discoloration.
Most often an antibacterial ointment will be applied to the area immediately after the treatment. Gentle cleansing prior to bed is recommended and reapplication of Bacitracin or Aquaphor should be applied. The area should be kept clean and you should continue to apply the ointment until the crusting has sloughed off.
We offer an intensive healing ointment which will help you heal faster if you like.