How The treatment Works
What are nasolabial folds?
Nasolabial folds, often referred to as smile lines, are the creases that run from the nose down to the corners of the mouth.
They can be mild in appearance but often time become deeper when we smile or laugh.
As we age they can grow in length and depth.
Why do nasal folds form?
A natural part of the aging process is the loss of collagen production. This is the prominent reason for the loss of fullness and volume.
Gravity and sun damage cause the folds to become more prominent.
How many vials of filler do I need?
Treatment Options for Nasolabial Folds
- Dermal Fillers – Fillers are an extremely effective treatment for nasolabial folds. Fillers plump out the folds thereby softening the depth. For further improvement, a filler can also be added to the cheek area to create a lifting effect which further reduces the fold line and restores a more youthful plumpness to the mid-face region.
- Laser Facial – Using the Exilis Ultra device this treatment has no downtime. Ideal for the 35+ age group to stimulate collage in the mid-face area which will plump and tighten to your facial structure. These treatments provide more of an overall anti-aging treatment but the effect will also plump and improve the nasolabial fold area.
- RF Microneedling – For more of a lifting effect, RF Microneedling can stimulate collagen production and also tighten the skin from below to the surface. Treating cheeks and jawline as well will also improve the lifting appearance on the overall lower face.
- AgnesRF – This is the most effective when deep folds or laxity is apparent. With focused microneedling, we can reduce the size and tighten the skin simultaneously. Wonderful results.
Which filler is best for nasolabial folds?
- Radiesse® is a long lasting facial filler made of calcium hydroxylapatite. Radiesse® is FDA approved for the treatment of facial wrinkles. Lasts 9-12 months.
- Juvéderm® products are FDA approved reversible hyaluronic acid. Lasts 6-18 months.
- Restylane – made of a biodegradable, non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid (NASHA) and is reversible. Lasts 12 months.
An injection of the filler substance delivers tiny micro-spheres to fill in and plump lines and wrinkles without surgery.
Why choose Radiesse®, Restylane or Juvéderm® as your wrinkle filler?
- Stimulates the body’s own natural collagen production
- Instantly corrects wrinkles
- Results that may last 9-18 months or more in many patients
- Now FDA approved to enhance patient comfort with lidocaine pre-mixed into product before injection
Juvéderm Family of Products
Volbella – Lasts 12 months (Upper Lip Lines) [Vycross Technology]
Vollure – Lasts up to 18 Months (Nasal Folds) [Vycross Technology]
Voluma – Lasts Up to 18 Months (Cheek Augmentation) [Vycross Technology]
Ultra XC – Lasts up to 6 Months (Lip Enhancement).
Ultra Plus – Lasts Up to 9 Months (Smile or Perioral Lines).
Radiesse: Can last up to 12+ months.
Restylane typically lasts 12 months.
It really depends on the depth of your fold and how much visual correction you desire.
You can add 1 syringe and see if you like those results – if not, you can come back 2 weeks later and another vial can be purchased and injected to further correct the depression.
Schedule a Consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
On average most patients can experience results that last up to 12+ months or more depending on product used.
The filler is a safe and virtually pain-free treatment. You may experience mild side effects, such as tenderness, bruising, itching, redness or swelling. These side effects usually last a short time.
Absolutely! One of the most compelling benefits of Radiesse® and Juvéderm® is that there is no downtime after a treatment. For the first 24 hours following your treatment, you will wish to avoid applying make-up and minimize your sun and heat exposure.
Radiesse® is made with calcium-based microspheres to increase collagen production. A study published in Dermatologic Surgery in 2008 showed that the calcium hydroxylapatite filler in Radiesse® stimulates natural collagen production, and continues to do so long after treatment.
There is mild discomfort. The treatment requires no preparation time. Most patients are treated and ready to go within an hour. Our practitioner injects the filler (pre-mixed with lidocaine for comfort) under your skin.
You’ll notice smoother skin and a reduction in wrinkles right after treatment. Full results appear in a week.
Treatment takes only a few minutes, so your wrinkles can be softened during a short appointment with us. The treatment is indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. Its long-lasting results makes it the natural choice for wrinkle treatment.
Ask us about the cost of treatment during your consultation. The final cost depends on the severity of your wrinkles and facial folds and how much dermal filler will be needed to treat it. Average pricing is $650+
You can reduce their appearance with skin tightening procedures and/or fillers.